Officials to Reiterate ‘Right’ to Start War Over Course of Visit
Secretary of Defense Leon Panettaâ€™s high profile visit to IsraelÂ wonâ€™tÂ include going over any specific attack plans, officials insist, but it will center around Israelâ€™s far-right government making clear that the US canâ€™t even theoretically stop them from attacking Iran whenever they decide to.
The message is going to berepeatedÂ by several top officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak, while they reiterate their belief that they have an inherent â€śrightâ€ť to attack Iran.
Israeli officials familiar with the gameplan say that they believe Israel can attack Iran with impunity, and that the US wouldnâ€™t do anything to â€śturn its backâ€ť on Israel even if they get America dragged into a massive regional war.
The visit comes with Netanyahu alreadyÂ layingÂ his hawkish groundwork today, appearing on several Israeli channels for interviews insisting that the Israeli militaryâ€™s opposition to a war with Iran wonâ€™t stop it from happening, and that the cabinet alone will make that decision.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Turkey Arms Syrian Rebels With Anti-Aircraft MissilesÂ - August 1st, 2012
- US Apologizes for Fake-Bomb Panic in NorwayÂ - July 31st, 2012
- 17 Killed as Pro-Saleh Police Storm Yemen’s Interior MinistryÂ - July 31st, 2012
- Netanyahu Dismisses Military Opposition to Iran War, Says He Will DecideÂ - July 31st, 2012
- Pakistan to US: If We’re Allies, Stop Attacking Us and Keeping SecretsÂ - July 30th, 2012