The incident did not come to light until the governor in Helmand Province made a public accusation
The attack took place on Friday and was revealed publicly by the governor of Helmand Province, Muhammad Gulab Mangal on Monday. The U.S. almost immediately confirmed Mangal’s accusation, which makes it seem like they knew about it before he went public.
The episode raises questions about how many such cases of civilian killings the U.S. military commits in Afghanistan that aren’t investigated and brought to light by corrupt and inept Afghan authorities.
In fact, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Helmand, Lt. Col. Stewart Upton, after admitting to Mangal’s charges said American officials had been unaware of the civilian deaths and claimed an investigation had been initiated. But the people of Afghanistan and the United States were kept in the dark.
The victims included a mother and her five children, three girls and two boys.
Last 5 posts by John Glaser
- Israel to Raze Homes in West Bank for Collective Punishment - May 7th, 2012
- Afghan Soldier Kills US Marine, Marking 19 Attacks This Year - May 7th, 2012
- Al-Qaeda Offshoot Swarms into Mali, Desecrates Tomb - May 5th, 2012
- Netanyahu is Wrong on Iran, Says Election Rival - May 5th, 2012
- Obama Misleads on Afghanistan, Claims Victory and Promises Withdrawal - May 5th, 2012