Olmert was accused on Thursday of taking bribes to promote construction of housing projects while he was the mayor of Jerusalem, a position he held before becoming prime minister in 2006.
In one of the largest corruption scandals in Israel’s history, the prosecution announced indictments against 18 people, including the former prime minister, and former Jerusalem mayor Uri Lupolianski.
The case, which first erupted two years ago, investigates millions of dollars in bribes paid between 1999 and 2008 by the Holyland developing company, through intermediaries, to senior officials in Jerusalem.
Olmert has repeatedly denied that he intervened in anway to expedite the project, despite publicly supporting it.
Recently, he lashed out against the state witness, whose testimony is central to the case, calling him a liar, Haaretzreported.
“The state witness in the Holyland case is an abominable liar, but instead of putting him in jail, you’re paying him and bribing him,” Olmert told investigators during interrogation.
“The only one paying bribes in this project is the State of Israel.”
- Olmert Indicted on Holyland Charges without Hearing (israelnationalnews.com)
- Ehud Olmert – in His Own Words (andyboy1.com)
- Jerusalem’s pendulum swing (thejc.com)
- Olmert Attorneys Claim Irregularities by Police (israelnationalnews.com)
- Olmert Trial to Resume Monday (israelnationalnews.com)
- Olmert: Israel’s Lieberman had full access (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Former Prime Minister Olmert: Turkey is not Israel’s enemy – Ha’aretz (news.google.com)
- Ehud Olmert: Israel Needs Peace Now (newser.com)
- Abbas: Olmert Promised More Releases After Shalit Deal (israelnationalnews.com)
- This is what occupation looks like in the Holy City of Jerusalem. (emilylhauserinmyhead.wordpress.com)
- Yes it is group think for politicians; but election think overcomes all (ikners.com)