Says Term Being ‘Used Too Freely’
Speaking at a meeting of top Israeli ambassadors in Jerusalem, Mossad chief Tamir Pardo rejected the notion that Iran, even if they were nuclear armed, constituted an “existential threat,” saying the term is being used “too freely.”
“If you said a nuclear bomb in Iranian hands was an ‘existential’ threat, that would mean that we would have to close up shop. That’s not the situation,” Pardo insisted. The claim that such a situation would be an existential threat has been a common talking point among hawks in both Israel and the US.
Pardo is the latest in a growing line of Israeli intelligence officials who have been making comments unfavorable to the Netanyahu government’s pro-war stance. His predecessor, Meir Dagan, had cautioned openly against attacking Iran, warning it would lead to a “regional war.” The comments spawned angry condemnations from political leaders.
Of course the entire question of what a threat Iranian nuclear weapons would be is purely hypothetical, as the IAEA continues to confirm the non-diversion of nuclear material to any non-civilian purpose and Iranian leaders have rejected the notion of obtaining such a weapon on religious grounds.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Rejects Calls for Oversight on Drone Killings - December 30th, 2011
- Hamas Orders Ceasefire on Israel - December 30th, 2011
- US: Al-Qaeda in Libya to Recruit Fighters - December 30th, 2011
- Paul Slams Obama Over Drone Strikes - December 30th, 2011
- Courts: Wiretap Victims Can Sue US, But Not Companies - December 30th, 2011
- Make Congress Vote on War on Iran – Lewrockwell.com (lewrockwell.com)
- Report: Israel Intel Chief Says Nuke-Armed Iran Not An Existential Threat (thinkprogress.org)
- Iranian nuclear programme not about Israel Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak’s latest gaffe reveals the geopolitical reality about Iranian nuclear technology. (ikners.com)
- Iran Developments 12/27 (showdownmideast.com)
- Former Mossad Chief Warns That Threat Of Attack May Hasten An Iranian Bomb (thinkprogress.org)
- Iran Proposes New Nuclear Talks With World Powers – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Nuclear Iran: A Dire Threat to Israel? (ibtimes.com)
- Iran highlights & developments 12/27 & 12/28 (showdownmideast.com)
- ‘Iran cannot be scared out of having nukes’ – RT (rt.com)
- Iran Starts Building a Nuclear Weapon, US and Israel Strengthen Resolve (inquisitr.com)
- The Year in Ideas: Extra-judicial killings became a public darling in 2011 (news.nationalpost.com)
- Israel and the Existential Threat (middleeastatemporal.wordpress.com)