Israeli Hawks ‘Furious’ at Panetta for Comments on War
A report today is claiming that the Obama Administration is in secret talks with the Israeli government to figure out exactly what would constitute a good excuse for launching an attack on Iran.
The talks came after Defense Secretary Leon Panetta made comments suggesting that attacking Iran is something that the US and Israel “would regret,” apparently causing many top Israeli officials to react furiously and for Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren to file an official complaint with the Obama Administration.
Panetta followed up the speech with much more hawkish ones, apparently aimed at publicly placating Israel, but behind the scenes the administration has been seeking to clarify what exactly counts as a “red line” that would give the US and Israel the excuse to launch an attack.
Officially, of course, both sides would insist such an attack was about Iran’s nuclear program. But since both nations have been claiming Iran is within striking distance of acquiring nuclear weapons since the mid-1980s, the excuse isn’t going to really fly internationally, so both nations are hoping to settle on something which could be the “trigger” for the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Obama Secretly Preparing for Syria Intervention - December 28th, 2011
- Death Squads Target Suspected US Drone ‘Informants’ in Pakistan - December 28th, 2011
- Following Criticism of Civilian Deaths, US Pulls Funding for Afghan ‘Media Center’- December 28th, 2011
- Allawi Accuses Maliki of Turning Iraq Into ‘Sectarian Autocracy’ - December 28th, 2011
- Syria Releases 755 Detainees - December 28th, 2011
- MSNBC’s Schultz Derides GOP ‘Fearmongering’ on Iran As Panetta Hints at Military Strike | NewsBusters.org (newsbusters.org)
- U.S., Israel Discuss Triggers for Bombing Iran’s Nuclear Infrastructure (irannewpearlharbour.wordpress.com)
- Politicus: Clock Ticking for West to Act on Iranian Nuclear Program (nytimes.com)
- US: Iran a year away from nukes, strike ‘not off the table (theromangate.wordpress.com)
- Preparing to Attack Iran with Nuclear Weapons: “No Option can be taken off the Table.” (irannewpearlharbour.wordpress.com)
- US Defense Secretary: Iran could get nuclear bomb within a year – Haaretz (haaretz.com)
- Preparing to Attack Iran with Nuclear Weapons: “No Option can be taken off the Table.” (haroonhaider.com)
- U.S., Israel Discuss Triggers for Bombing Iran’s Nuclear Infrastructure – The Daily Beast (thedailybeast.com)
- US: Iran a year away from nukes, strike ‘not off the table’ – RT (rt.com)
- Panetta: Iranian nuke is a ‘red line’ – Jewish Telegraphic Agency (jta.org)
- Israel’s Deadly Drone War in Gaza by Jason Ditz (ikners.com)
- Netanyahu hints ready to go it alone on Iran (ikners.com)
- Three years later, Israeli military happy with ‘Cast Lead’, wants to have another go (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Iran’s Dangerous Game of Chicken (thedailybeast.com)