Rules ‘Violated on a Daily Basis,’ Officials Confirm
The defense of Pfc. Bradley Manning on charges of mishandling classified data is proving even more embarrassing for officials than anyone anticipated, as evidence of the chaotic situation at Manning’s base and the routine ignoring of classified data rules emerged.
One civilian contractor working at the base even reported that other members of Manning’s brigade routinely used password cracking programs to gain administrator access to classified computers to install games and other programs.
Capt. Thomas Cherepko, in charge of the computer network in question, confirmed that the network’s rules were violated “more or less” on a daily basis and that reports to commanders went unheeded.
The defense of Manning is centering around the environment in which classified networks were left unsecured and the failure of his immediate superiors to do anything about his deteriorating emotional state during service.
As usual the defense is facing an uphill battle, however, top witnesses have been excused from testifying on the grounds that they might ‘incriminate themselves’ in describing the situation on base and what they saw of Manning’s condition during this time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Secret US-Taliban Talks Near ‘Critical Juncture’ - December 18th, 2011
- Left Behind: Iraqis Who Helped US Occupation Forces Fear Revenge Attacks - December 18th, 2011
- Amid Escalations, US Drone Pilots Face ‘Burnout’ - December 18th, 2011
- Israel Announces 1,000 New Homes in Settlements - December 18th, 2011
- NATO Killed Scores of Civilians in Libya War - December 18th, 2011
- Files on Manning’s computer linked to WikiLeaks site – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Bradley Manning hearing told of security failings at Iraq base (guardian.co.uk)
- Bradley Manning has “gender issues” (hotair.com)
- Ann Write on the Trial of Bradley Manning: Rule of Law or Rule of Intimidation and Retaliation? (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- Army is pressed on why it kept trusting Manning (newsok.com)
- Officer recommended Manning’s removal from computer room – CNN International (edition.cnn.com)
- Manning’s status as gay soldier is key to defense (newsok.com)
- Is Criticism of Iraq War ‘Probable Cause?’ Supreme Court to Hear theCase (ikners.com)