Demands Pakistan Strictly Regulate Fertilizer
In a move that reflect the further deterioration of relations between the two nations, the US today announced that they will freeze some $700 million in foreign aid to Pakistan to punish them for not more tightly regulating their domestic fertilizer industry.
Fertilizer manufacturing is a major business in Pakistan, but US officials contend that the various Afghan militant factions have been importing ammonium nitrate fertilizer for use in IED weapons.
The US has demanded repeated changes in policy among Pakistan’s factories, with the Pakarab Company’s Multan factory a major target. The company has already agreed to change the colors of the bags the fertilizer comes in, and is now working on ways to add dye to the fertilizer as well.
Yet what can possibly be done about its use as a weapon is unclear, as the largely agriculture-based Afghan economy is going to inevitably be importing massive amounts of fertilizer from Pakistan, Uzbekistan and other neighbors for the foreseeable future, and changing the color of the bags is at best going to give US officials more excuses to complain about Pakistan ‘fueling terrorism’ while it is simultaneously fueling agriculture.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cheney Urges Attack on Iran to Destroy Lost Drone - December 13th, 2011
- German General: NATO to Leave 15,000 Troops in Afghanistan After ‘Withdrawal’ - December 13th, 2011
- Reports: Afghan Education Ministry Cuts Deal With Taliban - December 13th, 2011
- Iraqi Deputy PM: Maliki Becoming a ‘Dictator’ - December 13th, 2011
- Fury in Israel After Settlers Attack Army Base - December 13th, 2011
- U.S. Congress freezes $700-million in aid to Pakistan (news.nationalpost.com)
- You: No cut in $700 million civilian aid to Pakistan: US (nation.com.pk)
- U.S. Freezes $700 Million Aid to Pakistan; Severs Ties (ibtimes.com)
- US halts $700 million in aid to Pakistan (worldnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Benjamin Fulford is Kidnapped by CIA ? December 13th 2011 (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- lawmakers freeze $700 million to Pakistan, ties strained – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Pakistan: Pakarab Fertilizers Ltd. source of 80% of Explosives in Afghanistan (americandefenseleague.wordpress.com)
- Pakistani fertilizer fuels Afghan bombs (msnbc.msn.com)
- AP IMPACT: Pakistani fertilizer fuels Afghan bombs (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- AP IMPACT: Pakistani fertilizer fuels Afghan bombs (seattlepi.com)
- Congress Panel Freezes $700M for Pakistan as Distrust Grows (ibtimes.com)
- Pakistan: U.S. Lawmakers Freeze $700 Million In Aid (huffingtonpost.com)
- U.S. Congress Freezes $700m in Aid to Pakistan (ibtimes.com)
- US freezes $700 million Pakistan aid (nation.com.pk)
- Congress agrees to freeze $700M in Pakistan aid (cbsnews.com)