Dear sisters and brothers, friends and loved ones,
I write to you from cell 9, block 59 Givon Prison near Ramla in Occupied Palestine. Although I was tasered during the assault on the Tahrir, and bruised during forcible removal dockside (I am limping slightly as a result) I am basically ok. We, Ehab, Michael, Karen from Tahrir, as well as Karen, Kit (US) and Jihan who we saw briefly this morning. We are most concerned about our Tahrir shipmate, Palestinian Majd Kayyal from Haifa, last seen by us at Ashdod being photographed and put in a police car.*
Although Michael and I (among others) were transported in handcuffs and leg shackles, let me stress that we are neither criminals nor illegal immigrants but rather political prisoners of the apartheid state of Israel. Four from the Tahrir are imprisoned with 12 Irish comrades from the Saoirse, who have more experience with such issues. The four of us, Ehab and I (Cdn), Michael (Aus) and Hassan (UK) have joined with the Irish in their political prisoners’ committee in order to press our collective demands:
- association in the block – i.e. open cells
- adequate writing and reading material
- free communication with outside world – i.e. regular phone calls
- information about shipmate women held at same prison
We add one Tahrir-specific demand: that Israeli state recognize the professional status of Democracy Now journalist Jihan Hafiz in accordance with her credentials from the US government. All political incarceration is unjust but let me stress that in duration and conditions, our situation pales in comparison to the plight of thousands of Palestinian political prisoners and to the open air prison of Gaza.
If you have energy to devote to solidarity actions in the coming days, please concentrate on them. We must get Tahrir back and hope Freedom Waves continue.
Free Majd Kayyal! Free all political prisoners! Free Gaza! Free Palestine!
Anishnabe-debuewin, restons humaine, stay human, in love and struggle,
* Majd Kayyal was released, but it appears David the other political prisoners weren’t told where he was taken.
(www.tahrir.ca / 06.11.2011)
- I write to you from cell 9 of the Apartheid State of Israel (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- I write to you from cell 9 of the Apartheid State of Israel (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Latest Update on 21 Still Detained by Israel (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- Martin condemns Israeli arrests (irishtimes.com)
- Another flotilla sets sail for Gaza (cnn.com)
- Israel ready to stop Gaza-bound ships – The Guardian (news.google.com)
- Israel ready to stop Gaza-bound ships (guardian.co.uk)
- Occupy It All (czardonic.wordpress.com)
- Palestinian youth join boats set to challenge Israel’s siege of Gaza (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Canadian activist says he was Tasered by Israeli forces (thestar.com)