Tensions Rise as Whistleblower Reveals Israeli Effort to Start a US War With Iran
Though tensions in the relationship between the US and Israeli governments rarely get aired in public, there is a general sense in media reporting that difficulties between the two are on the rise, with comments by former Defense Secretary Robert Gates underscoring the seriousness.
In comments at the National Security Council Principals Committee, former Secretary GatesÂ termed the Israeli government an âungrateful ally,â insisting they had offered ânothing in returnâ for massive amounts of US aid and high level intel sharing.
The context of the comments is equally telling,coming amid reports of an FBI whistleblowerâsattempts to reveal the details of spying on the Israeli embassy. Though the attempted leak failed to go public, it is now revealed that it detailed âIsraeli officials trying unlawfully to influence US policy and edging toward military action against Iran.â
Israelâs keenness to start a US war with Iran is hardly a secret, of course, but the fact that it has gone from unspoken truth to newspaper topic speaks volumes, and suggests the ânothing in returnâ is starting to wear a bit thin.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Libya Rebel Camps Set Stage for Second Civil War – September 6th, 2011
- Somali Officials Sign ‘Roadmap’ for Government - September 6th, 2011
- US Envoy: Syria Can’t Reform - September 6th, 2011
- NATO Ends Detainee Transfers to Afghan Govt Over Torture Evidence - September 6th, 2011
- Kosovo: Allowing Kosovar Serbs to Secede ‘Inhuman’ – September 6th, 2011
- FBI Leak Reveals US Spying on Israeli Embassy in DC (newser.com)
- Turkey Is Trying To Save Israel From Itself (tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- | More zio-tactics + wag the dog in Last-minute push to avert PA UN bid! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- US government spied on Israel’s Washington embassy (telegraph.co.uk)
- | UN Palmer Report into Freedom Flotilla assault condemned as a whitewash! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Leak case was linked to US spying on Israel: report – AFP (news.google.com)
- Diplomatic Strains Grow Between Turkey and Israel (nytimes.com)
- US alarmed at Israeli-Turkish breakdown in ties (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Turk airport search bares antagonism (philly.com)
- Leak offers look at U.S. efforts to spy on Israel (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- You: As Arab Spring unfolds, who is watching Iran? (search.japantimes.co.jp)