Overnight Air Strike Called in After Taliban Clash
Another NATO air strike has killed a number of civilians today in the Logar Province. The attack, which took place shortly after midnight, came after a clash between NATO troops on the ground and Taliban in the Baraki Barak District, and left six civilians dead.
NATO confirmed the attack but said they could not confirm the death toll. They did, however, say foreign forces were “looking into the matter,” while insisting that NATO is taking every measure possible to prevent civilian deaths.
Every measure except for halting the bombing of civilian areas, of course. The latest attack came after the firefight with Taliban but was termed a “retaliation” attack. That the attack retaliated against a civilian home and killed an entire family appears to them only a minor detail.
The Afghan government has repeatedly demanded that NATO stop using air strikes against populated areas. Though the practice was reduced during Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s tenure as commander, it has repeatedly been escalated since his departure last year, and insisted that the Afghan demands were “not realistic.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- African Union Won’t Recognize Libya’s Rebels as Govt – August 26th, 2011
- Former Mexican President Urges Truce With Cartels, Amnesty – August 26th, 2011
- Suicide Bombing at Algeria Military Academy Kills 18 – August 26th, 2011
- US Vows to Stop All Aid If Palestinians Seek Statehood – August 26th, 2011
- NATO Warplanes Pound Gadhafi’s Hometown - August 26th, 2011
- NATO forces are fast becoming a major problem relating to civilian deaths. (ikners.com)
- You: 5 civilians killed in air raid in Afghan Logar province (nation.com.pk)
- Deadliest for civilians last 6 months in Afghanistan (ikners.com)
- “It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.” – Albert Einstein (ikners.com)
- More NATO killing in Libya admitted (ikners.com)
- Qaddafi and threats to Europe and NATO (ikners.com)
- Amnesty urges NATO probe into Libyan civilian deaths (ikners.com)
- VIDEO: Libya accuses Nato over air strike (bbc.co.uk)
- Libya War:NATO dismisses report of Libyan civilian casualties in air strikes (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Afghan officials: Up to 16 civilians killed in NATO strike (cnn.com)