You can watch the video at Al Jazeera at: http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2011/08/2011889711816877.html
|On Saturday, more than 250,000 Israelis took to the streets in protest over the rising cost of living in the country and the growing social divide it is creating. This social movement of people demanding their share of Israel’s new economic prosperity is posing an increasingly powerful challenge to Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, and his coalition.
In response to what was one of the largest demonstrations in Israel’s history, and its biggest-ever on social and economic issues, Netanyahu promised to address the peoples’ demands.
On this episode we ask: Will Netanyahu’s government manage to defuse the rage? And can they succeed in stopping the Arab Spring reaching Israel?
Inside Story, with presenter Stephen Cole, discusses political and economic power in Israel with guests: Avi Sinhon, the chief economic adviser to the Israeli finance minister; Anshel Feffer, a correspondent on Israeli and international politics at the daily Israeli newspaper, Haaretz; and Ofri Raviv, the vice chairman of the National Union of Israeli Students.
- If these protests were about “social justice” they would be more concerned with Israeli crimes against the Palestinians (ikners.com)
- Israel and democracy. The beacon was never really shining (ikners.com)
- Israelis march for lower living costs (guardian.co.uk)
- Netanyahu pledges dialogue to address economic protests (windsorstar.com)
- Haaretz Editorial on Netanyahu (ikners.com)
- Netanyahu pledges dialogue to address economic protests – Reuters (news.google.com)
- Report: 81 members to visit Israel (politico.com)
- Quarter-million Israelis march for economic reform (lonerangersilver.wordpress.com)
- Israelis Plan Million-Strong March (stevebeckow.com)
- The Arab Uprising… now in “Israel” (attendingtheworld.wordpress.com)
- In Israel nothing ever changes. Everything is directed at hegemony over the Palestinians, paid for by the US (ikners.com)
- The Israeli “Real Estate” protest by wannabe landlords A Gilad Atzmon article (ikners.com)
- Israel outsourcing security operations (ikners.com)