NATO Warplanes Attacked Sorman After All
On Sunday, NATO copped to killing at least nine civilians in a strike in Central Tripoli, blaming a “weapons system failure,” but when a second incident in the suburb of Sorman came out the very next morning, they angrily denied involvement, saying warplanes weren’t even operating near the area.
But they were. NATO has now abandoned that denial and admits that they did attack the compound in Sorman, claiming it was a military “command and control” center. Media were taken to the site yesterday and shown the bodies of slain civilians, including children.
The Sorman attack killed at least 15 people according to officials, including three children. NATO said it was “aware” of the claim but had no way of verifying if it was true. Unlike Sunday’s killings, however, they offered no apology, and Canadian Gen. Bouchard, the commander of the war, vowed to continue to launch such attacks.
Which isn’t sitting well with Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini, who warned the killings of civilians was putting the alliance’s credibility at risk. NATO is nominally in Libya to “protect civilians” under a UN resolution authorizing a no-fly zone.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New York Fed Refuses to Reveal How Much Cash Was Sent to Iraq – June 21st, 2011
- Fire Scout Down: US Loses Surveillance Drone Over Libya – June 21st, 2011
- Obama’s ‘Significant Drawdown’ in Afghanistan Expected to Span 18 Months – June 21st, 2011
- Irked by Warnings, British PM Tells Military Leadership to Shut Up About Libya – June 21st, 2011
- Two and a Half Years Later: Israel Finally Okays Building Materials for UN Gaza Projects – June 21st, 2011
- NATO now crossing Pakistan border-air strikes (ikners.com)
- NATO Admits Killing Civilians in Libya (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- Fifteen More Civilians including Three Children killed in NATO Bomb Attack in Tripoli (politics.ie)
- Libya Govt: ‘Civilians’ Die In New Strike (news.sky.com)
- Pepe Escobar on NATO (ikners.com)
- Yet another excuse for delaying getting out of Afghanistan. Now the US is worried about their economy. (ikners.com)
- Bishop of Tripoli: NATO bombs playing into Gaddafi’s hands (onecatholicnews.wordpress.com)
- Libya:NATO airstrike on Tripoli kills 9 (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Libya War:NATO “marks” 90 days in Libya (laaska.wordpress.com)
- Libya War:NATO jet kills Libyan rebels by mistake (laaska.wordpress.com)